De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

19.2.05

The what who?

Yeah, pretty strange title for a blog, huh?

Well, if you're at all familiar with good literature, surely you know about "The Flying Dutchman" ("Der fliegende Holländer), the ship that was doomed to roam the world's seas, never to find a home. That seems to describe my life of at least the last 10 years, but I'm not from Holland. My family is from that area (Gau) of Germany known as the Vogtland, which makes me a Vogtländer (or in good vogtl. dialect "Vuogtlänn'r"). OK, I guess you had to be there...

Anyway, my German/Sächsisch/Vogtländer roots tend to show quite a lot. I'm probably more German than a lot of people who live there. I subscribe to the old ways. I believe in respecting others -- at least until they show themselves to be unrespectable. I don't speak "Denglisch", which is that horrid admixture of German and English spoken by the hoity-toity, pseudo-intellectual, one-world types. And I don't use first names with people I do business with.

As soon as I figure out how to put a link to my e-mail address, I'll do it. For now, though, you can either leave a comment or e-mail me at ejahn00@gmail.com. I've got bunches of recipes I can post here, along with a few good jokes (German and English). I doubt I'll have time -- or inclination -- to update this every day. So what? It's not like you're paying for it or anything. :-)

BTW, I thought the green-and-white motif was pretty good. Those being the colors of Freistaat Sachsen.
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home