De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

29.5.05

There's A Place Where I Go...

One of my Linkster buddies started a thread about places to "get away from it all". There weren't all that many replies; some people named some pretty good vacation spots. On the other hand, I took a decidedly metaphysical approach:

"There's a place that I travel
When I want to roam
And nobody knows it but me."


The Earth is green with spring. Flowers bloom, the trees are budding, and robins search for material for their nest while a magpie tries to play real estate agent. A family of beavers does their spring cleaning in their lodge.

"Wo die Tannen steh'n auf den Bergen
wild vom Sturmwind umbraußt in der Nacht
Hält der Rübezahl mit seinen Zwergen
alle Zeiten für uns treue Wacht."


The summer sun is gentle and the rains come softly and only at night. The scent of jasmine, wisteria and honeysuckle waft on the breeze. In the evening, fireflies signal to each other, hoping to find a response.

"In spring, the buds open
without hesitation;
in autumn, the leaves fall
without regret."


Autumn brings a blaze of color from the aspen and maple. Dry leaves rustle underfoot as squirrels gather provisions for the coming winter.

"It's far, far away
And way, way afar
It's over the moon and the sea."


The winter snow falls in tiny, sparkling flakes the crunch under my boots. The tang of woodsmoke hangs in the air as I sit in front of the fire, sipping hot cider and listening to Enya sing "Only Time". The world sleeps.

"And whenever you're going
that's wherever you are
but there's no one who lives here but me."


.

7 Comments:

At 18:45, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Your answer is by far better than any of the other's; even with not having read any of them. You never cease to engage the mind.

I do have a question, is this your own verse or borrowed? If borrowed, who wrote the original?

I don't enjoy flying, not that I don't appreciate getting from A-B in a short amount of time; I just don't enjoy the sensation that goes with hanging in the air. I have learned to block all that out by playing classical music in my mind, on an ipod or simply from memory, it works. Thanks for the blog posting

 
At 19:31, Blogger Jahn said...

The parts in italics are from other sources; the rest is mine.

Much of it is taken from a poem read by James Garner as a voice-over for a car commercial (Chevy Tahoe?).


"There's a place that I travel
When I want to roam
And nobody knows it but me.

The roads don't go there
And the signs stay home
And nobody knows it but me.

It's far, far away
And way, way afar
It's over the moon and the sea.

And whenever you're going
that's wherever you are
And nobody knows it but me."


The German part is from "Hohe Tannen", an old folk song. The next part in italics is an old Zen saying.

 
At 09:10, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I thought it sounded familiar, what da'ya'know, a commercial...

Thanks for sharing the information.

 
At 13:24, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks Jahn, Very lovely!

 
At 17:29, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, go to my blogsite and see Bonnie when she was about 9? She hasn't changed any.

 
At 17:11, Blogger Jahn said...

Umm... either you guys are giants, or she's added a few inches in the last 17 years. :-)

 
At 17:12, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, She did most of her growing in high school. She thought she was going to be a short little shrimp like her mom, but she took off after she turned 15.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home