De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

9.10.07

Pity Party

Well, it's (ugh!) that time of year again. People all over are starting to plan for "the holidays". It wasn't even Columbus Day yet when some stores were already puttin gout stuff for Christmas.

"The holidays". And we all know what that means for single people. All of a sudden, well-meaning people are going to be coming out of the woodwork, all geared up to invite the poor, pathetic single people over for "the holidays". Well, count me out.

Someone once said that we all appreciate a little sympathy, but no one wants people feeling sorry for them. Amen to that.

The way I see it, if you didn't bother inviting me over on any of the other 363 days of the year, why bother with Thanksgiving or Christmas? Just so I can sit there an be uncomfortable while you tell me all the things your family is doing? No, thanks. Let's get together some other time and talk about something else. Forgive me if I sound cynical, jaded or ungrateful, but I'd just as soon spend the day alone, TYVM. I still have my doubts about whether most people even think about what we're supposed to be celebrating.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my fellow Linksters posted a blurb about their local Christmas celebration being about Christmas, with no mention of Santa Claus. I thought that was a great idea; I hope we implement it here (even though I have no idea who's on our Activities Committee, since the database hasn't been updated in a while).

And, since I haven't been there on any of the other 363 days of the year, I think it'd be rather hypocritical of me to head down to the local homeless shelter-mission-whatever and volunteer. If I do go, I'd go on a day when no one else thinks to go.

3 Comments:

At 05:10, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I could see how the "holidays" might be a turn off for anyone looking for a spiritual lift when so many treat it as anything but spiritual.

 
At 18:26, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hey! Get out of that pity party... We invite friends over for Thanksgiving that have no where else to go every year....BUT we usually see them all through the year too....No one should be by themselves for thanksgiving.....Good food is so worth sharing with friends.....You know that you can come here if you want to....Drive on down and stay a couple of days with us....This is not a cheap invitation, I really mean it.

 
At 05:06, Blogger Jahn said...

No Pity Party here.

I wish I could take you up on the offer, but I have to (ugh!) work. I'm really bummed that I didn't get to travel thru Houston back in '05 when I went West. (Stupid hurricane....)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home