De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

11.11.08

No???

One of my Linkster friends (Deb? Dori?) was telling us a couple of years ago about a trip to a restaurant where she tried to order a glass of water instead of the proffered iced tea. Quoth the waitress: "I don't think we have any....." Of course, her reaction was predictable: "How do they make iced tea with no water???"

Anyway, today I decided to treat myself at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Great food, but fluency in English is obviously not a requirement to work there. In typical German fashion, I asked for "A glass of water. Not ice water, just plain water."

Yeah, right.

I hit the buffet and got back to my table to find... a glass of ice water.

Grrrr.....

When the waitress came by again, I pointed out the mistake and asked for a "glass of water. Not ice water, just plain water.". She stood there looking pensive and slowly said "No......"

"No"?! What the frell do you mean, "no"? What? Does the water come out of the faucet with the ice already in it?

After a bit, the manager came by and I finally got my glass of just plain water.

Good help is so hard to find.

4 Comments:

At 09:01, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Was the tip even to the service given?

 
At 10:06, Blogger BeatlesDiva said...

Well I've worked in the restaurant business before and we always gave people water with ice unless they didn't ask for it. I think it's just the way that most people think when it comes to that.

 
At 19:15, Blogger Jahn said...

Yeah, I gave her a great tip: learn some English.

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't specifically asked for "no ice".

 
At 06:57, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I was going to say, you should have asked for no ice, but from the comment above, you did say no ice.....Yes, she needs to learn more English. Down here in Houston, we have the illegals and their Spanish we have to contend with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home