De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

3.6.09

It's Your Funeral (Cake)

Years ago, when I was in Nürnberg, my companion and I stopped into a little "mom and pop" store to grab something to drink. Being a bit hungry at the time, I glanced over all the fresh-baked goodies in the display cake. My gaze came to rest on some crumb cake, and so I asked for a piece.

"Aber das is doch Beerdigungskuchen", said the woman. ("But that's 'funeral cake'.")

Uh-huh. Don't give me a vocabulary lesson, just gimme the bloody cake.

I repeated my requested, which was met with a slightly more emphasized repeat of her answer.

Uh-huh. Just gimme.

Finally, with a look that one reserves for someone asking for something weird, she gave me a piece of the cake.

Best snack I'd had in a long time.

Recently, I did a quick on-line search (hat tip to Mamma for her help) and found a recipe for crumb cake. In about another half-hour....

(No, I'm not saving you any. But I'll pass along the recipe. As soon as I can figure out how to make Blogger stop taking out my spaces. Or, by e-mail if requested.)

(UPDATE: Here's the recipe. Never try to out-stubborn a German.)


Amount Measure Ingredient
-------- ------------ ------------
2 cups Sifted flour
1½ cups Brown sugar
1/2 cup Margarine
1 Egg, well beaten
1/2 cup Additional flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 cup Milk


Mix sifted flour, sugar and softened margarine until crumbly.

Set aside 1/2 cup flour. To the remaining crumb mixture, add remaining ingredients as given above. Beat well with mixer on low speed. Spread evenly in a greased 8" square pan. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top and bake at 350~ for 35 to 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Dust warm cake with powdered sugar before cutting.


.

3 Comments:

At 02:11, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, is the butter at room temp. or is it supposed to be hard?

 
At 09:07, Blogger Jahn said...

Softened.

I've gone back and fixed that.

Mine turned out pretty well.

 
At 11:06, Blogger Debra said...

sounds good. I'll have to make it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home