De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

22.4.06

What Makes You So Special?

This evening, I spotted Yet Another lament by someone who has come to the conclusion that men find her unappealing. (For some reason, it always seems to be women who find this Terribly Upsetting.)

One of Life's toughest lessons to learn is the not everyone is going to find you Unbelievably Appealing. No matter how Special your mommy told you you are, there are actually people in this world who are going to shrug and say "Meh". Get over it. The sooner, the better.

And while you're about it, I hope I can disabuse you of the notion that lots of other people are Incredibly Fascinating, with huge crowds of sycophants following them around, hanging on their every word. Some years ago, I spotted a posted of a very physically attractive young woman in a bikini. The caption said "No matter how gorgeous she is, someone somewhere is tired of putting up with her".

About a year and a half ago, I got in a spot of trouble with a certain Linksterette who had a rather large fan club, some of whom were singing her praises one night in one of the forums. I allowed as how she didn't particularly do anything for me and was treated to a reply along the lines of me not being her cup of tea either. (In all fairness, we have since met in person and -- although she still doesn't float my boat -- maybe she doesn't outright hate me.

Although it must surely surprise some people to find out that they're not the only ones on Earth who are not loved by all mankind, it must come as an ever bigger surprise to some others to find out that they are not universally admired. Some years ago, I had the displeasure of attending church with one of these little self-styled beauty queens who was greatly surprised to find out that I was not exactly a card-carrying member of her fan club. Imagine that. I believe my comment at the time was "If she's God's Gift To Men, I hope He kept the receipt".

What? You don't love me?

I'm crushed.

2 Comments:

At 07:10, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I'm crushed...

 
At 10:27, Blogger Jahn said...

Meh.... life is hard, then you die. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home