De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

18.6.05

Stupidity On A Shingle

One of the time-honored traditional foods that they inflict on serve us in the chow hall is called "SOS", which stands for "Something (euphemism) On a Shingle" -- a.k.a. creamed chipped beef on toast; the creamed beef being the "something" and the toast being the shingle. I doubt that there was anyone who ever wore our country's uniform who didn't eat it at least once. For all I know, it might be a requirement for graduation from Basic Training. Not that there's anything wrong with it; I'd rather eat SOS than an MRE any day.

Some people developed a taste for the creamed beef on their eggs. Unfortunately, given the sloppiness of American thinking and -- by extension -- speech, they'd usually ask for "SOS" on their eggs. This is obviously incorrect, as it can't be "SOS" without the shingle. But....

One of the irritants in the dining hall was when I would go thru the line and ask for "SOS". Almost invariably, the moron person on the line would ask me if I wanted it "on toast". (Since they were all civilian contractors, I could almost overlook this. Once. After that, all bets are off.) Each time, I would have to patiently explain that of course I wanted it "on toast". I think they did it deliberately, just to annoy me. I mean, it wasn't like I was some guy who just dropped in; I was stationed there for 5½ years.

UPDATE: A quick search of the Web via Mamma.com resulted in two recipes. The first is the current official Army recipe; the second is from the Navy Wives Club and more closely resembles the original recipe. Note that the second one does not call for salt, as there's usually enough salt in any dried beef you might buy.

CREAMED BEEF ON TOAST (SOS)
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 tbsp. sifted flour
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup water
2 tbsp. butter

Brown ground beef in its own fat. Remove excess fat and save for making roux. Season with salt and pepper. To make roux, place 2 tbsp. reserved fat in double broiler or heavy pan. Slowly add sifted flour, stirring constantly over low heat until thoroughly blended. Cook for five minutes. Do not brown. Combine milk and water. Add butter and scald (not burn) in double broiler or heavy pan. Add roux to scalded milk, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Add meat mixture and cook about 10 minutes, or until desired consistency. Serve on toast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Navy Wives' Recipe:

CHIPPED BEEF ON TOAST
Ingredients:
4½ oz. dried beef
2 cups milk
2 tbs. butter
¼ cup flour
Pepper
6 slices bread
Cooking Instructions:
Melt butter in pan, add dried beef. Cook 2-3 minutes to brown. Add milk (reserve ¼ cup for later), & pepper. Bring to boil. Mix flour and remaining milk together. Slowly add to boiling mixture until it begins to thicken. Serve over toast.

.

4 Comments:

At 22:24, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, I remember eating that a couple of times when I was a kid. My best friends mom used to make it, of course we had it on toast.

 
At 13:59, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Jahn, Where do you get the dried beef?

 
At 21:46, Blogger Bonfire said...

This sounds gross...

 
At 13:31, Blogger Jahn said...

Actually, it's pretty good. As they say -- don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Dried beef is probably hard to find. I found some very small jars in Dollar General, but I need to look for larger packages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home