De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

12.9.06

Watch Your Language!

One of the curious aspects of living here in the Scenic City is that Chattanoogans are quite a bit easier to understand than most Southerners. At least, the ones I come into contact with.

There was an occasion back in '94 when I first arrived at Robins AFB. I went to Church and got there a bit early, so I just sat there, writing in my journal. I vividly remember one guy coming over and trying to talk to me. Admittedly, I had to "shift gears" and switch my thinking from German to English, but I have no idea what that guy said to me. I must have sounded pretty stupid, trying to formulate a reply to something I didn't even understand. Later, as I got to know the guy, I was able to understand him.

That reminded me of when I was Ramstein AB, near Kaiserslautern, back in '89. The people I went to Church with were really great, but there was one slight drawback: Kaiserslautern lies in Rheinland-Pfalz, where they speak a dialect called "Pfälzisch" (or "Pelzish" they way they say it). Listening to it was like listening to someone drag their fingernails across a chalkboard. It was also pretty tough to understand. Of course, I realize that they probably have equal difficulty understanding me.

One afternoon, a bunch of us had dinner over at one family's house. I mostly listened in as the conversation covered topics of local interest. Slowly, they slipped further and further from proper German into Pfälzisch. Finally, at one point I spoke up and made a comment, and the reaction was visible. Everyone suddenly remembered that there was An Outsider present who wasn't really following the conversation all that well. All I had to do after that was make the stray comment and the conversation stayed a bit closer to proper German. Nice.

3 Comments:

At 11:28, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I am sure that the longer you were there the more you understood.

 
At 14:32, Blogger Jahn said...

Warner Robins or Kaiserslautern?

Makes no difference. Never did really understand some of those people. :-)

 
At 23:59, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Back when I was a cop I walked in to a room where a group of young Nigerian men were talking. As soon as I entered they stopped talking English and opted to speak in their native tongue of Igbu (sp). I only knew a couple of things, how to say hello and so I let them go on and on, their body characteristics indicating that they were not fond of cops as they would smile at an off color comment they thought I could not understand. I then walked over and said hello to them in their language and smiled as if I'd understood each word. They went wide eyed and clammed up tight. That was fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home