De' fliengde Vuogtlänn'r

Observations, rants, etc. from a guy who really gets around.

14.10.05

But Did He Stay In A Six-Star Hotel?

When I was in Basic Training, there was a guy from Ohio in my flight name of Richard Westphal (sp?). He was one of those guys everyone picked on. It wasn't that he wasn't bright. I think he just lacked social skills. And maybe a little common sense. Like the man said, "Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

One day, we were discussing military history, and he remarked that the US had once had a six-star General. (The highest authorized rank is five stars, and we had all seen the charts.) He drew a lot of flak for that (among other things). Having no evidence one way or the other, I generally kept out of the debate.

Years later, I learned that after World War I, General of the Army John J. "Blackjack" Pershing had been promoted by Congress to the rank of "General of the Armies", and authorized to create his own insignia. An insignia of six stars was prpopsed, but Pershing never wore it.

4 Comments:

At 01:10, Blogger Bonfire said...

I installed computers at a six-star hotel. Does that count? It's called "The Setai" and it is in South Beach, FL.

Technically it might not be 6-stars, but the everyone in South Beach said it was so nice that it could be. I wouldn't be suprised if I see the Travel Channel do a special on it.

 
At 08:26, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

When I was new to the Army and in line for shots wearing my brand new OD Green all purpose weather coat, a bird flew by and dropped on my shoulder. I commented that I was no longer a private having been promoted to "full bird" in one day. The Sgt. overheard my remarks and had me drop and give him pushups. So much for being rank.

 
At 21:37, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like you owe that man an apology...

 
At 03:15, Blogger Jahn said...

Actually, I think the whole flight owes him an apology. Had I known what I know now, I would have spoken up for him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home